Monday, June 27, 2016

 hello, all, I had not in tended to do the block tonight, because I'm whipped, but no I'll be way behind if I don't. First of all, thank you so much for all the great comments about the blog site. We're so happy we can share this adventure with you. Second,  I can't get the pictures with the text, but that's what happens when you're working with an iPad. So, just know that the pictures go with the commentary. On Saturday we had the great pleasure of meetings Cham 82-year-old cousin George and his daughter Susan Leftwich for lunch at the civil servants club in London . George could run circles around all of us. What a great guy! After we finished our lunch he decided he would take us on a tour of central London, I think purposely knowing that the gay parade was going on.  we walked around a bit and then he decided to cross the street against the parade in would not be deterred from crossing the street. Therefore, we found ourselves Martin with the gay parade for several blocks before they would let us off the parade to our cross over.  I think his  daughter Susan was aghast, but George was enjoying every minute of it. We then found ourselves in the thick of it at the Piccadilly metro stop which was complete chaos. We eventually worked ourselves out in  and oasis at his other club the victory  Service club which was a very nice respite. We would love it if they would come to Lynchburg because we throw a huge party because all of our friends would love them.  on Sunday morning we got up and took the tube to Hampton court palace.  I had read about Hampton court for years, but I will tell you I was totally unprepared for help big it is and how well it's presented. The commentary, the extra programs, and the gardens are all exquisite. I think Cham and I intended to spend probably a good part of the day there , But we ended up leaving as it was closing  at 6:00 PM. It was a beautiful day and it's certainly put a lot of historical events into perspective. I know as a child we all wish we could be royalty; I'm so glad that passed me by.  this morning we packed up from our incredible tube accessible apartment, but also very damp apartment, to pick up a car at Heathrow airport to continue to Chester. It's too  complicated to go into, but we decided not to take the cab , $100, versus the tube, perhaps eight dollars per person. It took forever to get to Heathrow and to get to the rental car, and then we wondered if we would ever get out of the airport . Granted, we are not familiar  with British roundabouts, only French roundabouts, but we have found the British roundabouts very difficult to use, they are not well marked at all, one point I thought we should stop the car and pay someone to drive us out of the airport . Cham did a terrific job of driving, because there's no way I would've done it. We had anticipated a bucolic, Pastoral Countryside Dr. once we left the airport. We were so wrong. If you went under 80 miles an hour you were run off the road. not to mention we're driving on what we perceive is the incorrect side of the road and cham kept getting over too far to his left, consequently I was white knuckling all the way. However, we eventually arrived in Chester this evening. We are in a beautiful American Crowne Plaza Hotel, Which is very welcome. There's obviously some money here somewhere because the shops in the restaurants are lovely. We have an appointment to visit Cham's ancestral  private school tomorrow morning and to also visit some other family sites, but after that, I hope to really relax and explore this area. Also, unfortunately, will have to do some wash at some point. While the London apartment had a washing machine, we would probably have grown mushrooms  on our wash while It was trying to dry. We hope all of you are healthy, safe and staying dry. Love to all and continue to send the messages. Love Edie and Cham  PS-I have included a picture of Chester I took at 9:33 this evening. It is still so light over here when it's time to start getting ready for bed. It just makes us stay up later.




2 comments:

  1. Love your pics! B&I went to Rules a long time ago...such a great place. Love reading your blog.
    I had to laugh at the picture in my mind of you two driving on the wrong side of the road...safe travels!
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was the Cutty Sark at Greenwich? I think it had been undergoing a renovation. At least I could understand that!

    ReplyDelete