Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Colmar and Paris

Good morning from Paris!  I'm sorry I'm so far behind, so I'll catch up as best I can.

  ago when I was in Komar, their goal was to become a destination point in  France. Well, they have far exceeded that goal. There were people from all over the world they are. It is still a charming place, but in some parts unrecognizable as from 12 years ago. We spent the first day  taking a small boat cruise down the Lau river and then took a small train ride through the town. The next morning we got up and decided to go to Haut Konigsburg a palace/fortress that was restored by Wilhelm  The second. Unfortunately, I left my phone in the car so I was unable to take any pictures, but we could see as far as the alps from the fortress.  while there are some controversy oh points about the restoration, it is Indeed a fortress. It's astounding anyone was ever able to take it. It was a magnificent day. On the way back to colmar,we decided not to go by the highway but by the wine route.  Cham noticed one of the small towns with having a wine festival so we decided to join in the fun. I have posted to pictures of Cham in the Congo line. It was obvious it was a tightly knit community but everyone was sitting under the tent drinking a local wine or beer and dancing singing  to the music. We got back in the car and then stopped in the beautiful town of Riquewehr.  this area has definitely changed since I was there 12 years ago. At the wine house Dopff, someone has definitely gone to California because it was a beautiful tasting room  with some terrific wine. The city has also made the entire center of the town a  pedestrian area. Unfortunately, we were running out of time so we weren't able to walk the streets, but it is still a gorgeous area. I doubt I will ever go back to colmar  again, but I heartily recommend the area as a place to visit. 

 we started the long journey to Paris on Monday morning. We went through some incredible farmland as we traveled north west into the city. It was unlike what I had seen Indiana because  that's so flat. this was miles and miles of rolling hills of grain, corn and occasional sunflowers. It truly was lovely. We were able to return the rental car to the airport with no problem, hop the train from the airport to the Gare Nord train station in  Paris, and caught a cab to our apartment. We are currently staying in the Marias District of Paris. While it's been incredibly hot here the last three days and we have no air conditioning in the apartment. the apartment itself is set behind huge doors  which enters into a courtyard. We have to walk up four incredibly, old wide  flights of stairs to reach our apartment, but once you're here, it's like you're in an Oasis.  We're on an iconic, that's not the word, street in that Helmut Newton, the famous photographer, took pictures here. While we were waiting for the keys I saw two couples using very good equipment for,pics and wondered what was happening.  Our delightful landlord, Pierre filled us in.  Google Paris pics by Helmut Newton to see them   It's a very trendy section - lots of interior design shops, eyeglass shops, etc. all located on the exterior of an historic Jewish section. I walked over to get falaleh for dinner last night, supposedly the best in Paris, and I would agree, and found the head rabbi for France lived in the neighborhood from1955 to 1980.  

I spoke with the children last night and Paige asked about Nice.  There's a huge statue here, and I'm sorry I don't know the name probably somehpthing along the lines of liberty or fraternity, which has flowers at her feet, many wreaths and some graffiti. I haven't heard anyone saying anything, but we're also in a very nice neighborhood.  We're having dinner with Andy Morris and is lovely French wife Carole so I look forward to talking with them about it.

We spent the am at the Rodin museum. I highly recommend it, especially the garden. A very tranquil place in Paris.  I'm putting in one pic because I can only imagine being in the pent house and have the view into the garden.  One of,the other pics has napoleon's tomb, the tip of the Eiffel Tower, a sculpture and Cham.  We ended the afternoon by going to the Legion of Honor museum located across from the musee d'orssay. It's always been on Cham's bucket list.  I'm very glad we had the opportunity to visit. 

So, off to dinner with the Morris.  We miss all of you very much and so wish you could be with us to share these experiences.  We leave Paris on Sunday for Bordeaux so more to come!  Stay cool!

 Edie and Cham

ps now  that I see the pics, so additional thoughts, tons of security around Norte dome, they say they're cleaning up,Piganelle, it's still the sex area of Paris, if you went to the Rodin exhibit at Vmfa, that traveling exhibit was very well done.  it even included some info not in the permanent collection.





















No comments:

Post a Comment