Tuesday, July 12, 2016

The battlefields of Belgium

We have spent the last two days visiting Waterloo yesterday and Bastogne, or more commonly known to us novices as the Battle of the Bulge.  Both sites are incredibly well done and I heartily recommend them to you, especially Bartogne.  It should be a required visit for everyone.

I truly don't think I could do it again tomorrow. I was okay after Waterloo yesterday, but very quiet and melancholy tonight after Bastogne today.  Waterloo seems so far removed, but the war against Napeleon set the stage for so many other wars to come.  I'm always saddened by the loss military lives, but also of civilians and the total destruction of  property and a way of life.

Waterloo was the site where Napeleon suffered his final defeat, (think ABBA) although I'm constantly amazed how his family influenced European politics for years after his demise.  A new visitor's Center was opened last year to celebrate the bicentennial of the defeat. It's brand new and presentation is extremely well done.  It provides a quick overview of European history, so quick that they fail to mention he's overthrown and gets sent to Elba, but returns to power in less than two years. All of a sudden you've jumped forward 10 years and he's getting ready to become Emperor of the world. Finally, Wellington ends his dastardly plans and he's shipped off to St. Helena for good.  He really had some great ideas, more in part to Josephine, but you know what they say about power, and it's definitely true in his case.

I have to admit I wasn't looking forward to the touring today, but it was truly unforgettable.  We started at the barracks of the 101st Airborne division.  It was that here that Gen Tony McAullife replied "nuts" when asked his formal response to a German petition to surrender.  It made world headlines and was a huge morale booster to the troops.

After this three hour tour, we went to the official Bastogne Musuem.  It has recently been built and they have done a fantastic jobmofmtelling the story. They give a great overview of WWII.  They also tell the story from four points of view, all people who lived through the battle.  You walk through the Musuem and the commentary starts. They also have three movies strategically placed along the tour.  You have to have an extremely hard heart not to be moved by this museum.  At the end, you go outside to the beautiful countryside where a massive monument was built to the Americans in 1950.  More Americans lost their lives here than they did at D-Day.  The entire visit was incredibly powerful .  Please God, grant us peace.





No comments:

Post a Comment