It was another amazing day in Barcelona. I like small towns, but I like big cities, too and this is one of the very best. Lots to see, interesting architecture, several great beaches, great restaurants, nice people, and wide streets and sidewalks. You can do that kind of infrastructure when you have to rebuild your city in the 1800's.
One of the most interesting places I've ever visited is Casa Batllo designed by Anton Gaudi. As Catalonia was being rebuilt, families of means wanted their homes to make a statement and many want to Gaudi to do that. Casa Batllo is just one of many lovely homes on this street. I've always been a big Frank Lloys Wright fan, but Anton Gaudi was an absolute genius. Zheng came from a strong mathematics and physics background, but was clearly an artist as well. This home is one of the cohesive, functional and colorful I've ever seen. I would have loved to live in this home. I tried to take pictures, but they don't do it justice. The sea and other elements of nature were the inspiration for part of the design of the house. Gaudi was a strong Christian and lover of nature. Both of these passions are found in his work. It was well worth the 22.50 admission price. Purchase the tickets on line and by pass the long line of people who want to get in.
After the tour and a bite of paella, we went to Gaudi's most famous work, The Sagrada Familia, an incredible church built to honor the Holy Family. They've been working on it for over 100 years and it should be finished in 2026. The truest word to describe the "temple" is awesome. Gaudi believed God was the master artist as seen in nature thus nature and natural elements run throughout the temple. Having seen exterior pictures of it, I had prepared myself not to like it, but it is so harmonious, light and soaring your mouth naturally hangs open. I can't wait to come back in 10 years to see its completion. The facades are strikingly different from one another. The Passion facade is all sharp angles and rough stone while the holy family facade is loving and soft. The stained glass is modern and transforms the interior. It's truly a work of art.
After our audio tour, we decided to head to the beach via the metro to see the waterfront. The port is huge and we know we didn't see it all. We then walked a very long boardwalk with the Mediterrean on our left just admiring the view and the gorgeous water. I hope when I return in a couple of weeks I'll be able to get in!
We know we just barely scratched the surface of this remarkable area. We fly to Lisbon tomorrow and then catch a train to Porto for three nights be
fore returning to Lisbon to catch up with Lynchburg friends. We've had such a great experience in Barcelona. We can't wait to come back.
No comments:
Post a Comment